GETTING STARTED AT MODESTO JR. COLLEGE
To ensure timely delivery of your VA benefits and registration, follow the steps below in order to prepare for submitting your veteran package to the Veteran Services Office.
TO ENSURE FALL 2020 PRIORITY REGISTRATION, ALL CORE STEPS MUST BE COMPLETED BY APRIL 20, 2020.
MJC Veteran New Student Enrollment Checklist
CORE STEPS must be completed by the following deadlines to be granted priority registration.
Step 1: Apply for Benefits: VA Educational Benefits: Apply through https://www.va.gov/ for assistance or call VA Education Benefits 1-888-442-4551. Once approved for VA educational benefits the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Bring this letter to the Veterans Resource Office.
- (1606) Reservist please provide a copy of your NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility) DD Form 2384, Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program Notice of Basic Eligibility, which the Selected Reserve member obtains from his or her National Guard or Reserve component. The form verifies his or her eligibility to the Montgomery GI Bill--Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR).
- (Chapter 31) Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E) Chapter 31 students please provide us with a copy of your VA Form 22-1905 from your Voc Rehab counselor.
Step 2: Apply for Admissions at MJC (CORE): Apply online at http://www.mjc.edu. If you have not attended MJC within the last year you will need to reapply.
Step 3: Proof of Military Service (CORE): Submit a copy of DD-214 (Member 4) to the MJC Veterans Office to establish priority registration. Dependents please have the Social Security number of the parent who served time in the Armed Forces. Need a copy? Visit www.archives.gov/veterans/.
Step 4: Official Transcripts (CORE): Send official transcripts to MJC Enrollment Services, 435 College Ave. Modesto, CA 95350. Then fill out and submit a transfer work evaluation request form to evaluations. “DO NOT OPEN” You have two semesters to complete and turn this in. http://www.mjc.edu/studentservices/counseling/evaluations/transferworkevaluation103014.pdf
- Military transcripts: (Print a copy for the Veterans Service Office)
- USA, USCG, USMC and USN (Joint Service Transcripts) visit: https://jst.doded.mil
- USAF transcripts visit: http://www.au.af.mil/au/ccaf/ (Requests arrive within 6-8 weeks)
Step 5: Apply for Financial Aid:http://www.mjc.edu/studentservices/finaid/doiqualify.php. Apply for additional benefits (if applicable): Financial Aid: complete FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Step 6: Math / English Placement (CORE): For self-guided placement options, please visit: https://mjc.edu/studentservices/placement/guidedselfplacement.php
If you have completed English or Math at another school send official transcripts to Enrollment Services.
Step 7: College Orientation (CORE): Complete online or in person, visit: http://www.mjc.edu/studentservices/enrollment/admissions/orientation.php
Step 8: Educational Planning (MJC Student Educational Plan-Special Programs) (CORE): Call Veteran Service Office to schedule an appointment with the Veterans Counselor at (209) 575-6670. You will need an education plan in order to be certified.
Step 9: Registration: Register for classes online at: (Print copy of your class schedule from PiratesNet and turn it in to the Veterans Service Office). https://apps.mjc.edu/classschedule/ClassSchedule.aspx
Step 10: Start your Benefits: Once enrolled in classes fill out a Certification Request for VA Benefits form for VA Educational benefits and submit it to the Veterans Office for certification to finalize your VA Education Benefits.