Frequently Asked Questions for Community Education

What information do I need to provide you to register for a class or trip?
Community Education has a registration site that is separate from Modesto Junior College - You will only need to give us your name, date of birth, address, phone number and email address (if desired).

You can create a "Household Account" with all members of your household added to it including adults and children. If there is a credit on your account then anyone on that Household Account can use the credit.

How do I register?
The best way to register is online. If you register in person, by phone or fax, we will charge you an additional $5 registration fee. If you are having any problems with the online registration please call our office at 575-6063 and one of our staff members will help you at no charge. This way, the next time you want to register online you will know how. By registering online you will save $5. 

Can I register at class?
Walk-in registration is on a space available basis. You can only pay for a class at the door with check or a money order made payable to MJC.  You must also completely fill out the "walk-in form" the instructor will give you in class.. The instructor CANNOT accept cash or credit card. This is for your own protection.

Can My Child Take an Adult Class?
Yes, beginning in Spring 2014, children 14-17 may register for an adult class.  The parent/guardian MUST contact Community Education to request approval prior to enrolling a minor in an adult class.. If the minor is approved, they will need to have a Minor Consent form filled out and signed by their parent/guardian. The instructor will need to approve having the child in class, and have been fingerprinted by our District. Click here for the Minor Consent Form package.

What do course fees pay for?
Community Education classes do not receive State or Federal funding. Your enrollment fees pay all costs of the Community Education program.

Returned Checks
There is a $25 charge for returned checks.

Can I get a refund?

  • Classes: If you cancel at least 7 days prior to the short course you have reserved, you will be refunded your registration fee, less a $20 processing fee. The refund will either be placed on your credit card (if this is the form of payment used for registering), or placed on an electronic voucher. The electronic voucher is good for up to two (2) years from the date it is issued.  Once a class begins, we are unable to refund any portion of your fee. Vouchers will no longer be issued.
  • Trips: Different refund policies apply to trips and tours. Call our office [(209) 575-6063] regarding refund policies for trips.

  • Cancelled Classes: A full (100%) refund will be given for classes or trips that the college cancels. Refunds take a few weeks to process. If you pay by credit card, your account will be credited; if you pay by check or cash, you will receive a check in the mail.

  • On-line Refunds: You cannot cancel a class or trip online. To receive a refund you MUST call our office at 575-6063.

What other fees will I pay?
In some cases an additional material fee may be charged. The material fee is usually paid to the instructor on the first day of class. Sometimes the fee will be collected at the time of registration.

Do I have to pay for parking?
MJC parking regulations are in effect 24 hours a day from 7 a.m. on Monday through 6:00 p.m. on Friday. Student parking is permitted in designated areas on the East and West Campus. Persons who park on campus are required to pay a fee. A daily ticket may be purchased from any campus parking ticket dispenser for $2.00. If you have classes that will span the semester then you can purchase a student parking tag from our office - $15.00 for a summer parking permit and $30 for a Fall or Spring parking permit.

Why are classes cancelled?
Community Education courses must be offered at no cost to the district (because they are not State or Federally funded). A minimum number of students must be enrolled in order for a class to be held. The decision whether or not to cancel is made one to two days before the class begins and is based on the number of fully paid fees on that date. So please register early. An email is usually sent regarding the cancelled class. We also try to call the students at the phone number that was provided.

Can I get Financial Aid?
Because we do not receive state or federal funding to help support our program, we are not eligible for state or federal financial aid for our students. However, many times rehabilitation or retraining companies pay for their clients to take our courses.

Special Accommodations
Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities must be made at the time of registration and at least 10 days before the event. Every effort within our ability and legal responsibility will be made to meet your request.

Supply Lists
Some classes require you to bring supplies. Supply lists are posted on our website (supplies). We try to have all supply lists posted on the internet. If you don't find your class supply list please call our office at 575-6063 a few days BEFORE your class so we can contact the instructor, if we don't have one in the office. DO NOT purchase the supplies until you check with our office to make sure the class will not be cancelled due to lack of enrollment.